this is a scientifically proven fact that celebrities have a significant impact on public health; researchers call it the "Angelina Jolie effect." When the star revealed that she had decided to undergo preventive double mastectomy after testing positive for BRCA-1, the need for testing - and preventive surgery itself - doubled. Although a person's health is nothing to do with others, Julie and nine other celebrities choose to speak up bravely about the medical conditions that affect their (or their spouse's) life, hoping to help educate others. Keep reading their inspiring stories: they will even inspire you to take your health more seriously.
Credit: Jason Merritt / Getty Images entertainment / Getty Images
1. Katie Couric wants you to have a colonoscopy. In 1998, Jay Monahan, Katie Couric's husband, died of colon cancer, the second leading cause of cancer death in the United States. Two years later, talk show hosts broadcast their own colonoscopy TV show (cameras and everything in the colon) on today. "It felt like the disease had tricked Jay out of a lot of things, took him away when he was 42, our daughter was 2 and 6 years old," Couric told secnos. Then she and others discovered "stand up for cancer 2," the national colorectal cancer research alliance and Jay Monahan gastrointestinal health center. Next: the popular host said that physical factors are the key to her brain tumor.
Credit: slave vlasic / Getty Images entertainment / Getty Images
2. Maria menounos wants you to have a physical examination, while her mother is struggling with stage 4 brain cancer. Maria menounos is experiencing terrible headache, blurred vision and language problems. Her doctor advised her to have a comprehensive physical examination, which saved her life. " If I didn't have a physical, I would never have realized I had a brain tumor and we would never have found it, "she said. Now, manus is an ambassador for rally health, an organization that provides health and wellbeing information to most Medicare members, stressing the importance of getting an annual medical examination.
read more : how Maria menounos found out that she had a brain tumor and her important health advice Credit: Kevin winter / Getty Images entertainment / Getty Images
3. Angelina Jolie wants you to know about breast cancer prevention because she lost her mother, marcheline Bertrand. She had breast cancer and learned that she also carried the BRCA1 gene (which suggests she was at a higher risk of breast and ovarian cancer than people without it). Angelina Jolie had a preventive double mastectomy. In 2015, she had her fallopian tubes and ovaries removed after doctors found that she had a small benign ovarian tumor. The normally private star didn't hide her health problems, but wrote a spicy article for the New York Times about her two experiences - people were listening. A recent study found that Julie's precautions led many other women to do the same. Next step: the newscaster hopes to help cancer survivors thrive.
Credit: dia dipassuper / filmmagic / gettyimages
4. Robin Roberts hopes to help cancer survivors thrive. In August 2007, Robin Roberts began to treat breast cancer with partial mastectomy, followed by chemotherapy and radiotherapy. A few years later, she was diagnosed with a rare blood disease, myelodysplastic syndrome, usually caused by cancer treatment. She began treatment again, and received a bone marrow transplant from her sister. Now that there is no cancer or health, Roberts joined the V Foundation's cancer research board in 2012. In 2017, Robin Roberts cancer survival research fund was established. " Cancer survival is at last at the forefront. While cancer prevention and treatment are crucial, it's equally important to help survivors thrive, "Roberts said. Next step: the popular "dance with the stars" alumni tells the truth about her endometriosis.
Credit: imeh akpanudosen / Getty Images entertainment / Getty Images
5. Julian Hoff wants you to talk about endometriosis. In 2008, Julian Hoff was diagnosed with endometriosis, a disease that affects 10% of American women. The endometrium that usually grows inside the uterus grows from the outside, often causing extreme pain and fertility complications. Hough has kept her diagnosis low for many years (even to her current husband, Brooks LAICH), and she encourages women to share their stories with others. " "Whether it's your partner, your family, friends, colleagues, whatever it is, it shouldn't be something you should be afraid of," she told self. In fact, I have it now, and I'm glad I have a voice that can help people solve this problem. "
read more : Julianne Hough opens the topic of hiding pain on "DWTS"
Credit: Christopher Polk / Getty Images entertainment / Getty Images
6. Hugh Jackman wants you to have regular skin tests in 2017. He revealed that he has been diagnosed with the fifth skin cancer. He urged fans to take preventive measures. " "Another basal cell carcinoma," he wrote in an instagram photo showing his bandaged nose. Thanks to the frequent check KS & great doctor, everything is fine. It's worse to put on than to take off! "Apply sunscreen," Jackman added a caption to the picture. Basal cell carcinoma is the most common skin cancer, accounting for 80-90% of all skin cancers. In 2013, it was his fourth cancer removal, and he revealed that his wife encouraged him to go for a marker test. " "Please don't be as stupid as I am," he wrote. Let yourself check it. " Next step: this funny model and twitter personality can seriously affect postpartum depression. Credit: Matt winkmeier / Getty Images entertainment / Getty Images
7. Chris tigan wants to kill postpartum depressionWhen she and her husband, John Legend, had their first child, Luna, they found themselves very unhappy. She realized that she was suffering from postpartum depression, but at first she was afraid to talk and be judged. " I'm saying it now because I want people to know it's going to happen to anyone, and I don't want people who feel that way to feel embarrassed or lonely, "she wrote pointedly in an article about her experience of glamour. In addition to exercise, tigan revealed that she was taking medicine and going to see a psychiatrist to treat conditions affecting one in nine women, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Please read more: Chris tagan's treatment of depression is encouraging. Tara Zimba / Getty Image Entertainment / Getty image
8. Shania Twain wants you to check for ticks in 2017
, Shania Twain revealed that she was bitten by ticks while traveling in Virginia and has suffered from Lyme disease since 2003. " I'm dizzy. I don't know what happened. It's just one of the things you don't doubt, "she said. Tick borne disease leads to dysphonia, which is a kind of vocal cord disease, which eventually leads to her temporary inability to sing, forcing her to accept extensive language therapy and vocal training. Now, she's very vocal about being examined. " This is a debilitating disease, extremely dangerous. You can't play with it, so you have to check if you have a tick. " Next step: the actor wants you to know about his oral cancer.
Credit: Rick diamond / Getty Images entertainment / Getty Images Credit: Emma McIntyre / Getty Images entertainment / Getty Images
9. Michael Douglas wants you to know that oral sex can lead to cancer. In 2010, the "deadly temptation" star complained to his doctor about "sore back teeth." After two rounds of antibiotics and nine months of symptoms, a friend encouraged him to make an appointment with an oncologist. He was diagnosed with stage 4 oral cancer and was treated with an aggressive form of radiotherapy and chemotherapy. In a highly public interview with the guardian, Douglas claimed that his "special cancer was caused by human papillomavirus (HPV) associated with oral sex." Although STDs are one of the causes of oral cancer in individuals (currently 70% of laryngeal cancer cases are caused by STDs), alcohol abuse, smoking and weakened immune systems are other factors. Cancer
10. Kate Walsh wants you to be her own health advocate. In 2015, Kate Walsh was exhausted, but when her physical and mental condition began to deteriorate, she decided to see a doctor. " I really want to see a neurologist... I had an MRI, thank goodness, because I had a fairly large brain tumor in my left frontal lobe. The actress successfully underwent the surgery and worked with other actors who played doctors on television, including Neil Patrick Harris, Patrick Dempsey and Donald Fisher, as well as television doctors at CIGNA, the health insurance company, to promote campaigns to encourage Americans to have an annual physical examination.
read more : Kate Walsh reveals her health habits after brain tumor panic Credit: Kevin winter / Getty Images entertainment / Getty Images
What do you think? Do these celebrity stories inspire you to take your health more seriously? Who do you think is the most attractive story? Do you think celebrities work to be transparent about their health issues for the greater good? End in comments!
Credit: Jamie McCarthy / Getty Images entertainment / Getty Images